Version 4 (modified by yitz, 7 years ago)
Migration From Etch
Services to migrate
- RT on PostgreSQL
User data to be transfered
- User accounts and home directories
- Project groups in /etc/group
- Darcs repos from /srv/projects
- Project data from /srv/code
- Trac projects
- Mailman lists
- Planet Haskell
- Physical mailboxes (igloo and malcolm)
Domains to be transferred
Migration plan - preparatory stage
- Formulate plan on how to communicate with users during the migration process; begin gathering required contact info if necessary
- Calculate the approximate size and rate of change of each type of data on the server
- Give preliminary notice to users and ask for feedback
- Configure domain name etch.haskell.org (will later become read-only copy and left active for a while as a backup)
- Set up an IRC channel for admins to coordinate during the migration process
- Change TTL on all domains to be short
- Provision the new server
- Install and perform basic configuration of all services
- Test all installed services
- Write scripts to copy user accounts and rsync home directories, and to verify
- Write scripts to copy project groups in /etc/group, and to verify
- Write scripts to rsync darcs repos from /srv/projects, and to verify
- Write scripts to rsync project data from /srv/code, and to verify
- Write scripts to rsync trac projects, and to verify
- Write scripts to copy mailman lists and rsync archives, and to verify
- Write scripts to rsync Planet Haskell, and to verify
- Write a script to make all user data and projects read-only (except mailman archives), and to verify.
- Write a script to *undo* making things read-only, in case of emergency.
- Test all scripts thoroughly
- Fix dates for beginning initial copy and final migration, and give advance notice and instructions to users.
- Transfer RT database and verify (as a dry run, go through the entire migration process just for RT)
- Move the rt domain
- After TTL, verify that RT is working on the new server
Migration plan - Initial copy
- Run script to copy user accounts. Verify.
- Run script to copy /etc/group entries for projects. Verify.
- Run scripts to rsync home directories, darcs repos, project data, trac projects, mailman archives, and Planet data
- Monitor progress; update schedule and notify users as needed
- When completed, verify.
Migration plan - D-Day
- Notify users.
- Stop the Planet Haskell hourly cron job.
- Run script to make all user data and projects read-only. Verify.
- If any user accounts or projects were added since initial copy began, add them.
- Run scripts to rsync home directories, darcs repos, project data, and Trac projects. Verify.
- Stop mailman service on etch.
- Run the scripts to rsync mailman archives. Verify.
- Move the domain CNAME for community, trac, projects, and code.
- After TTL, verify remotely that the domains moved and that services are working.
- Notify users of current status.
- Tell Ian and Malcolm to check their mail.
- Move the domain MX records.
- Run the scripts to rsync Planet Haskell. Verify.
- Move the planet domain.
- Start the Planet Haskell hourly cron job.
- After TTL, verify remotely that all domains are moved and that all services are working.
- Notify users and community.
- Monitor and tune settings of PostgreSQL for resource usage on the new server
- Monitor and tune settings of Apache for resource usage on the new server
- After a day or two, raise TTL back to normal levels on all domains
- After a month or two, delete the Etch server
Download in other formats: