Ticket #57 (closed defect: wontfix)
PROPOSAL: Remove OpenGL
|Reported by:||trevor@…||Owned by:|
Description (last modified by dons) (diff)
I would like to propose that we remove OpenGL from the spec.
- The standard package sets for ruby and python don't include OpenGL, as it makes the distribution harder to install.
- #55 cites a build failure as a result of the OpenGL dependency.
Current heuristics to act as a guide:
- Does it meet a stated end-user need?
- Is there a champion for it?
- Do similar systems include such a library (e.g. Python)? NO
- Is it portable? Yes (but caveat: it is hard to build the C component), to systems that support OpenGL.
- Does it add additional C libraries? Yes (majority of build complaints are about OpenGL).
- Does it follow the package versioning system? Yes
- Is the code of good quality?
- Does it have history? Yes Part of original ghc libs, >10 years old
- Is it on hackage? Yes
- Does it provide haddocks? Yes
- Does it have a test suite?
- Does it have a maintainer? Yes
- Does it require new Haskell dependencies? (invariant: the platform must be closed wrt. deps) No
- Does it have a simple/configure-based Cabal build? Yes
- Does it conflict/compete with existing functionality? No
- Does it reuse existing types? Yes
- Does it follow the hierarchical naming conventions? Yes
- Is it -Wall clean?
- Does it have demonstrated users?
- It has a non-trivial number of application users (primarily game apps): HPong, HipmunkPlayground, paper-soccer, hbeat, topkata, glome ray tracer, monadius, armada, hyplos, rsagl , frag, whim
- Some graphics libraries use it: GLFW, FTGL, vect, hieroglyph, reactive-glut, Fungen game engine, FieldTrip, drawingcombinators, graphicsFormats, vector-space, svgfonts, obj, AERN-RnToRm
- Have declared correctness or performance statements?
- Is it BSD licensed? Yes
- Will the maintainer continue to maintain it, as demand grows ?
- Is it popular on hackage?
Yes. It is currently ranked 37 / 1318, or in the top 3% of Hackage. Update. Now ranked 23/2200