|Version 7 (modified by duncan, 7 years ago)|
Time based releases
We want to do time-based rather than feature based releases.
See for example GNOME's info on time-based releases. They've done this very successfully. See also Martin Michlmayr's PhD thesis in which he argues for time based releases. It is extremely relevant to us. He surveys many similar projects like GCC, GNOME, Debian and others.
See the current release timetable.
Process for major releases
This is yet to be finalised. The following is a straw man proposal.
- -4 months: New package proposals
- -2 months: Package proposals finalised
- -6 weeks: Package API frozen, alpha testing release
- -4 weeks: beta testing release
- -2 weeks: Package versions frozen, release candidate
- 0: Major release
Process for minor releases
- -2 weeks: Package versions frozen
- 0: Minor release