Opened 4 years ago

Closed 4 years ago

#11030 closed bug (fixed)

D757 (emit Typeable at type definition site) regresses T3294 max_bytes_used by factor of two

Reported by: bgamari Owned by: bgamari
Priority: normal Milestone: 8.0.1
Component: Compiler Version: 7.11
Keywords: Cc:
Operating System: Unknown/Multiple Architecture: Unknown/Multiple
Type of failure: Compile-time performance bug Test Case: T3294
Blocked By: Blocking:
Related Tickets: Differential Rev(s):
Wiki Page:


I noticed that D757 caused max_bytes_allocated to go from 45MBytes to 96MBytes while updating the testsuite. This may be expected but I want to ensure I look into this since the test defines only one type (albeit with many fields) and a Show instance so we wouldn't necessarily expect this test to regress by this amount.

Change History (2)

comment:1 Changed 4 years ago by Ben Gamari <ben@…>

In bef2f03e/ghc:

Generate Typeable info at definition sites

This patch implements the idea floated in Trac #9858, namely that we
should generate type-representation information at the data type
declaration site, rather than when solving a Typeable constraint.

However, this turned out quite a bit harder than I expected. I still
think it's the right thing to do, and it's done now, but it was quite
a struggle.

See particularly

 * Note [Grand plan for Typeable] in TcTypeable (which is a new module)
 * Note [The overall promotion story] in DataCon (clarifies existing stuff)

The most painful bit was that to generate Typeable instances (ie
TyConRepName bindings) for every TyCon is tricky for types in ghc-prim

 * We need to have enough data types around to *define* a TyCon
 * Many of these types are wired-in

Also, to minimise the code generated for each data type, I wanted to
generate pure data, not CAFs with unpackCString# stuff floating about.

Three perf/compiler tests start to allocate quite a bit more. This isn't
surprising, because they all allocate zillions of data types, with
practically no other code, esp. T1969

 * T3294:   GHC allocates 110% more (filed #11030 to track this)
 * T1969:   GHC allocates 30% more
 * T4801:   GHC allocates 14% more
 * T5321FD: GHC allocates 13% more
 * T783:    GHC allocates 12% more
 * T9675:   GHC allocates 12% more
 * T5642:   GHC allocates 10% more
 * T9961:   GHC allocates 6% more

 * T9203:   Program allocates 54% less

I'm treating this as acceptable. The payoff comes in Typeable-heavy

Remaining to do

 * I think that "TyCon" and "Module" are over-generic names to use for
   the runtime type representations used in GHC.Typeable. Better might be
   "TrTyCon" and "TrModule". But I have not yet done this

 * Add more info the the "TyCon" e.g. source location where it was

 * Use the new "Module" type to help with Trac Trac #10068

 * It would be possible to generate TyConRepName (ie Typeable
   instances) selectively rather than all the time. We'd need to persist
   the information in interface files. Lacking a motivating reason I have
   not done this, but it would not be difficult.

As is so often the case, I ended up refactoring more than I intended.
In particular

 * In TyCon, a type *family* (whether type or data) is repesented by a
     * a algebraic data type (including data/newtype instances) is
       represented by AlgTyCon This wasn't true before; a data family
       was represented as an AlgTyCon. There are some corresponding
       changes in IfaceSyn.

     * Also get rid of the (unhelpfully named) tyConParent.

 * In TyCon define 'Promoted', isomorphic to Maybe, used when things are
   optionally promoted; and use it elsewhere in GHC.

 * Cleanup handling of knownKeyNames

 * Each TyCon, including promoted TyCons, contains its TyConRepName, if
   it has one. This is, in effect, the name of its Typeable instance.

Requires update of the haddock submodule.

Differential Revision:

comment:2 Changed 4 years ago by bgamari

Resolution: fixed
Status: newclosed

The above commit was incorrect and was ultimately reverted.

The idea was merged again in 91c6b1f54aea658b0056caec45655475897f1972, which does not exhibit this regression. I'm not entirely sure why this is the case, although I suspect the phenomenon was due to sloppy test conditions on my part as I have been unable to reproduce the issue. Closing.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.